"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

What happened to responsibility?

My parents were 50’s “Father Knows Best” types. Yes, that had it’s many flaws. One thing that has gotten lost that was not a bad thing is responsibility.

Born in 1959, I was a child in the 60’s. What a great time to be alive! Sure, I suppose we can all say that about our childhood years, right? Then came the 70’s, the “Me” generation. Suddenly, everything was all about “Me” and “who cares about anyone else as long as I get mine.” Then came the 80’s and the next thing I know everything is someone else’s fault. “I am not to blame for my actions, my parents are, the bartender is, my teachers at school made me so screwed up that how can I be to blame for my behaviors?” The 90’s? Same song and dance, only worse.

What happened to responsibility? Yes, sure, our environment, our peers, our authority figures have helped to shape us, but since when is it anyone’s fault but our own that we are irresponsible? Do we blame it on too many lawyers? Yes, the bar owners need to be more responsible, but HELLO, they did not force anyone to get drunk. Sure, our dysfunctional families have made it very tough for us. You bet, lots of us are victims.

It takes many years of hard work to get past childhood abuse or rape or extreme violence. Depression, bi-polar and all that very tough. In those cases, you bet, the perpetrator is to blame. However, in our daily life’s we should assume responsibility and heed our actions. “We are only a victim for as long as we allow ourselves to be.” Heal, morn, grow, learn, become a better person.

What I am saying here is that if you are rude or mean to others, then it is you who is to blame. You are hurting others and yourself. Life is hard enough as it is without us harming ourselves. So you were hurt too, no excuse to hurt others.

Me? You got it, I need to be responsible for my actions, my words, my behavior and not just toward others but for myself. So, yes, this blog is for me. Hey, if you do not get many readers on your blog then you need to blog for yourself, right?

One Love, One Heart, One World, One Soul. We are all ONE so we are responsible for ourselves. We are all here together so we are all responsible for everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home