"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Another favorite album

The J. Geils Band: Bloodshot

No matter how foul my mood, no matter how dark, no matter how depressed, no matter how angry, this album instantly transforms me into the happiest guy in the World. This album is a combination of rock & roll, soul, funk, blues and Motown. In the 80’s, these guys had some hits, but the 80’s stuff is nothing like this. Magic Dick one of the greatest harmonica players ever. I have spent many hours trying to play like this guy, and I come far short. Back in the late 70’s, everyone who owned a harmonica wanted to play like him. This album was released in 1973 and it did get a little airplay back then with “Give It to Me,” but they did to see the type of success they had in the 80’s. With the first song, "(Ain’t Nothin’ but a) House Party," there is no longer any hope for depression or sadness or negativity. By the end of the song, unless you are comatose or even if you are, you are on your feet. Half way through the next song, “Make Up Your Mind,” you are dancing, and by the last song, your sweating like you just ran a mile and wanting more. A party or two back in the day I was at, a bore, a waste of time, turned into a kicker after this album came on the stereo. Those that were already kicking, turned into raggers. People who once had sat there dead, danced, alone or with multiple partners. The whole palce was one big dance floor and we all were dance partners! Today, it still sounds great, even sober, especially sober. It is just fun! How many ablums can I say that about? Not many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home