"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

daydreams and superheros

On Sunday, July 10th, I took my son to see “The Fantastic 4.” Yes, it a good movie and we both enjoyed it very much. I have not read any of their comic books, so I am not very familiar with the “real” story. Having the movie follow the comic books closley is not as important to me as it is for some people. I like that our modern technology can provide us with special effects that make the action and characters look “realistic.” However, I did use to watch the cartoon on Saturdays when I was a child. I do not remember exactly when, somewhere between ages 6 and 11, so back in the late 1960’s, early 1970’s. Back in those days, I watched a lot of TV. TV was my best, and sometimes my only, friend, since we moved so often. When a person watches superheroes movies or cartoons, or when they read the comic books, they often times like to choice a favorite. Perhaps the choice is strictly a material thing with liking their costume or maybe they just like fire (The Human Torch). Others though, like me, looked for a deeper purpose. My all time favorite is Spider-man. We seem to have many common characteristics. Back in the early 1990’s when the carton was popular (along with "X-Men"), I would watch as often a possible with my son. I would even tape it if I was going to miss it. Sometimes, I would be having a tough time trying to figure out some phase of my life and I would get clues or messages from Spider-man. When I was watching “The Fantastic 4” movie, I recalled those old memories of me watching the cartoons. I have always been a dreamer. I have spent countless hours daydreaming. Back in my elementary school years, it caused me some problems in school. On more than one occasion, I would get into big trouble with my school teachers for not doing my work or paying attention. One day, in 6th grade, my teacher got very angry at me. I was doing nothing, which apparently was the big problem. We were supposed to be doing our work, math or something, and I was day dreaming. I do not recall what specifically, but my teacher took offense. This lady was large, very tall and heavy. I was very small for my age, the last in line to have my picture taken every year of school. The teacher picked my desk up, with me in it, and carried it across the room. For the rest of the school year, which was well over half, I had to set next to her desk. I had a hard time back then understanding this. There was all kinds of bullies and kids eating and throwing stuff in class and causing safety issues. I was just being all by myself, not hurting anyone or bothering anyone, well, except for my teacher, I guess. I achieved very high grades in school, always, even that year. I had nearly all “A’s” in my school curriculum classes. Back then, we had separate sections to our grades and report cards. One was for conduct and the other academics. For that school year, 6th grade, in the academic section, I had all “A’s” and “B’s.” However, in the conduct section, she gave me all “F’s.” I never talked back, I never used foul language, I never hit any of the other kids or stole or cheated or lied. Obviously, I got my academic work done. So how is that daydreaming gets a person all “F’s” for conduct? That teacher held a conference with my parents on the last week of school and said she was holding me back to repeat 6th grade. Boy, I must have really made her mad. Fortunately, we moved to another town that summer and I did not have to repeat 6th grade. I never stopped daydreaming, though and continued to get high grades. When I watched any superhero TV shows or movies, I would dream about being a superhero and saving people and the World (still do). I wanted to be a superhero (still do). Even when it was a bad thing to be a superhero, like Spider-man who is misunderstood at times ( just like me, misunderstood at times), I wanted to be a superhero. Some people, like myself, when watching a superhero cartoon or movie with multiple characters (“X-men,” “The Fantastic 4“) will choose a favorite. With the “X-Men,” for me, it is Storm and Gambit. With “The Fantastic 4,” it was Mr. Fantastic. I always wanted to be Mr. Fantastic when I watched the cartoon. I thought his superpowers were the best of the 4. Also, I liked that he is very intelligent and a kind, decent person who’s main goal in life is to help others and make a positive difference in the World. Perhaps that old teacher of mine was not so angry with me, but herself. I wonder if she knew that I was daydreaming about saving life’s and helping others that she still would have held me back for 6th grade? I hope that she will still be alive and to be able to know and to see my great accomplishments.

In some ways, I am a superhero. I safe life’s and help those in need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home