"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

From the "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer" department

Yesterday I asked one of my fitness instructors, who is female, why woman are not attracted to me. Is there something wrong with me? She told me that my “look is out of date.” My hair style is out of date and so is the way I dress. I had on a new shirt and fairly new pants. How could they be out of date if I just bought them new a few weeks ago? So, I asked her, is my shirt out of date. She said I dress like a hippy. My shirt was not tie-die, but a semi-formal, business style, shirt with a collar and a pocket and a conservative blue color. Because of my long hair, many people call me a “hippy.” Maybe I share many common believes and values as a “hippy,” but I have never considered myself to be a “hippy.” She said that because of my long hair, I do not look like a “real” man. When I was an adolescent, all my friends and my family had the opinion that only a man with long hair is a “real” man. My hair is who I am and it is not about some status symbol. So, I told her this. She said, “So, it is not about a hippy thing?” I said, “No, it is more of a Native American thing.” She told me that woman like to see a guy who at least tries to take care of himself. I was beginning to become offended. My clothes are usually always clean and in good shape. I keep my hair combed, clean, and pulled back and I am always clean shaven and I spend a lot of time in the shower cleaning myself. Ask my mother. She gets angry with me for talking too long of showers. So, I asked her, “Do I look like I do not care about myself?” She said no. “Do I look like I put some effort into my appearance?” She said yes. Finally, she said something intelligent. She said that if I changed that it would attract shallow women to me. At least, she knows better somewhere inside her. I told her that sometimes it is better to be alone than in a bad relationship. She agreed. I do not want to, nor have I ever, wanted to look like everyone else. I have always felt different and I like it this way. The rest of America should be more like me and less like Hollywood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home