"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The problem with CDs

For an older guy like me, being a child of the 60’s and a teen of the 70’s, there are some issues with CDs. Yes, they are much more convenient and reliable than 8-Track tapes, but pretty much everything is more reliable than an 8-Track. (By the way, I still have some, about 200 and several players.) When CDs first came out, they were limited in their sound quality. No way did they compare to those Half-Speed Master albums or the Japanese imports (because they used true virgin vinyl and did not mix the vinyl with plastic to cut costs), but CD technology has caught up. The issue I have is two fold: lack of perks and availability.

By perks, I am talking about those really cool sells incentives that came with the vinyl albums. Here is a short list of some of the items that I own that originally came with the albums from the manufacture: posters (some 24” x 36”), stickers, book covers, laser etched art work on the vinyl itself, colored vinyl, 8” x 10” photos, gatefold covers, gatefold sized books (some reaching 50 pages), land deeds, rolling papers (12” x 12”, extremely difficult to find because, well, we tried to use them and no, they did not work so good), women’s panties. Many covers and posters were band and recalled due to graphic or controversial material and subject matter. “Penis Landscape” is one poster that comes to mind. It was included with the first issues of the Dead Kennedy’s “Frankenchrist” album. I own 3, 2 un-opened. Do not get that kind of stuff with the CDs.

The lack of availability is subjective. Most of the albums I desire to own on CD are no longer being manufactured. Some were no longer being produced before CDs. Lately, there has been a lot of older music being put on CDs. Most of it, however, is in a 'greatest hits' format. ‘Greatest hits’ is relative. For me, most of the artists best stuff is left off of those compilations. There are 5 albums that I can think of just right now that I wish to have on CD that I can not seem to find anywhere and I am told are not available: Melanie "At Carnegie Hall", Argent “In Deep”, Jo Jo Gunne “Bite Down Hard”, Devo “Oh, No! It’s Devo!”, Wendy O. Williams “Maggots: the Album”. (Any of you hardcore punk fans remember her? She was my dream girl back in the early 80’s) I bought this new toy a few months ago. I can record CD’s and not have to burn them on my computer. This way, it works just like a cassette and I can record anything, vinyl, 8-Tracks, radio, anything. Problem is those albums of mine are a bit scratchy.


There is still confusion from last event, so I am refraining from blogging about it for now. Yes, I am feeling better and thank you for asking. No, I am not feeling great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home