"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Sunday, April 03, 2005


White Mask, 1983. This mask was made using Raku glaze. This glaze is Japanese that uses a quick firing technique. Other glazes use very high temperatures that take a long period of time to heat up slowly and cool down slowly, about 72 hours. This glaze only takes about 8. Notice how it cracks from the quick cooling, yet, the surface remains smooth to the touch. The non-glazed areas produce a charcoal or burned effect. I love this glaze!!! I tried to emulate the kabuki style masks. I wish I had the resources to do more of this.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home