"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

"Stress and Pain"

The power of the mind over the body for me is a fascinating subject. After my “realization” recently (please, see the bog below “Realization”), another was made. Most of us have physical expressions of our stress. For me, I am the type of person who “holds” their negativity in their stomach. My first serious trouble was when I was in the 5th grade. Since then, I have developed 3 ulcers, acid reflux and loads of severe heartburn that has kept me up nights. Until recently, I had little to no help in controlling the heartburn other than a “baking soda shooter.” Now, with the new over the counter quality meds, I have relieve. About 6 months or so ago, before this recent “realization” I was having no troubles with my stomach. I thought is was due to the Prilosec, which works wonders by the way. However, I was just avoiding my stress and I was not addressing it in a healthy manner. During this time, I was having some very bad back problems. My lower back was so sore and stiff at times that I could not get dressed. Tying my shoes was an adventure, as was bending down to pick anything up. Even putting on my boxers was a chore. Sleep was lost. Getting in and out of bed or a chair or the car, even setting for short periods of time, was painful. All of the exercises I knew to help only relieved the pain temporarily. Sometimes, exercise made it worse. That same morning of the “realization,” the back pain was gone! In college during “Abnormal Psychology,” we learned about medically documented cases of just how powerful the mind can be over our bodies. There is/was a person who has/had "Disassociative Personality Disorder" (formally known as multiple or split personality) who in one personality had cancer. They had x-rays proving this, they had all the symptoms, and were being treated for it. However, when that person switched to the other personality, no cancer! It could not be found by medical means! No symptoms! That is amazing to me! I guess my situation is amazing as well. At least it is for me. I am very grateful for the relieve and the knowledge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home