"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

"visual thoughts"

Today I went to a training class on autism. I learned some new stuff. Cool! One part about it is on my mind. The instructor, who is a PhD, was quoting an autistic person. From my experience, a PhD person has a different point of view about life than most others. (How is it that a person can earn a PhD and be so narrow minded?) Anyway, the Dr. said that the autistic person was explaining their unique thought process and that they are different from a “normal” person’s. The term the Dr used was “visual thoughts.” The autistic person saw clear, vivid images, complete with details, in their mind. I am guessing here, but as apposed to words or numbers or concepts. When the Dr. was saying this, I was thinking to myself, “well, how else does a person think?” In my mind, I see complete detailed pictures. When a person talks to me, or if I read, I see pictures, with fully detailed images. With art, I often have the painting or drawing in my mind first, and then, I put it down on paper or canvas. Sometimes, there is no planning or sketching, just the actual completing. My instructors at college did not approve of this method and tried to encourage me to think and plan first. Yes, I did so and sometimes still do. (Some of that paper is very expensive and unforgiving of mistakes.) However, as you can see from my photos on here, my way seems to work okay for me and my art. For another example, often when I am preparing for work, I see my work place and the other people in my mind. I see myself doing what I am supposed to be doing for the day (if that is set anyway). This is my way of preparing or planning or going over my list of things to do. I am not trying to predetermine my day, just making sure I got it all before I leave the house. I do not see the word "keys" or "glasses" in my mind, but and image of my actual "keys" or "glasses." If I lose something, i recall pictures of the possible sites and mayeb even the object there, not the word "bedroom" in my mind. If I need to plan a route of travel, say in town, I see the road and land marks and images of the possible other roads to travel, not a list of street names. For a brief moment, I thought I was autistic. How do normal people think? What, do they see a list if words and just scroll down it? I have no idea. Maybe I should have asked.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nine Lives said...

yes, you should have asked! : )

i "think" with images, plus feelings, plus "what feels right", my self. that's why i can make sense out of seemingly unrelated things; my mentors call it my gift for making method out of madness, gems out of rubbish. heehee.

does that make me autistic too?

10:01 PM

 
Blogger Timothy said...

ask your friends how they "think" and i will ask mine and let's compare notes

8:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home