"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Friday, January 21, 2005

more again on art

My stuff is ready for my show. I have one more that needs framed and one more I would like to draw still. I spoke to the arts manager at the YMCA yesterday. We talked about their art programs and I suggested a drawing class. Well, now I am an art teacher. I have an appointment today to work out the details, but it will be one night a week for an hour and a half. I have been around many good young artists who have good talent. They draw very well, but very few of them have work that is 3 dimensional. This is what the class will focus on for now. She said they have had many requests for a drawing class, but not for beginers. I will incorporate some other information as well, like the differences between good quality materials from KMart stuff. Shading, light sources, light values, preportions, balance, symmetry, all of the stuff one does not usually learn in our high schools here. I did not get much sleep last night. I have not been getting much lately. My dreams have been very "busy" and I wake feeling tired, but satisfied in a way becuase the tasks were completed. During the day though, I am tired and I feel like I have not gotten much rest. Last night though, I dreamt about the art class. I woke with tons of "ideas forming in me head." ( an allusion from the movie "Time Bandits") I tried to relax and go back to sleep, but I had a difficult time of it. I had a girlfriend along time ago (I was just out of high school) who's mother had a saying she liked to tell me. In her opinion, "There is no greater sin than unused gifts." She felt that God gave "gifts" for a reason and that it was an act agaisnt God to not use them for their Purpose. She and her family knew I took art classes in school. I actaully painted a mural on my gf's door. I knew her mother was trying to tell me to do something with my art. Well, since then (we broke up after 3 years), I have gone to college and completed over 45 credit hours in art. I am only 4 classes short of a BA (3 are art history). I have done some teaching before and sold a few things here and there, and now, well you know the rest. I see her mother once in a while. I think she would be happy to know her words took hold within me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nine Lives said...

great!!! i am excited for you too timmy, all these creative ferment going on!

11:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home