"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

More about art

In the past, I have sold a few peices. Some for pretty decent money, but not enough to earn a living. (Unless of course, I sold several peices a month, then mabye...) One of my art teachers said a person can go two ways with art, to make money or have lots of time off. He was taking about either going commercal or teaching. For some reason, I am not comfortable selling my art. It is not the reason for me doing art. Creating is my reason, no, not a reason, but a purpose, a need, a need as important to me as eating or breathing. Art is in the doing, not the end result. I do art to please myself, not others. If others like it, I am glad, but I do not need approval. Of course, when I was in college, I had to be concerned about grades. I drew or painted lots of different things; still lifes, trees, flowers, etc. All of that helped me to grow as a person not just an artist. So, anyway, I have some sellable stuff and some peices I am okay with parting from them. I have spent most of my free time since the 1st preparing my work; matts, frames, touch-ups. Those things are importnat sellers, yes, but more important to me, they help display the peice. They look finished and proud and ready to tell the World how beautiful they feel they are, and why not? I am a modest man. I do not blow my own horn (for if I could I would never leave..., just kidding). However, I recognize my ablilites. In college, even at the larger university, I felt like I was in the top 3 in my classes. In fact, in my advanced drawing class, there was only one person who was better then me. (She alreday hada job lined up after graduation drawing intenal organs for some medical publisher. How cool is that!) But most of the others had talent in their own ways, just as I do with mine. Okay, I have gotten off track a bit. I do not like doing art for the sake of selling it. In fact, I find that my creative juices are hinderd by it. Cowboys, horses, cows, frames with barbed wire, those are very popular here. Maybe some of those people do that stuff becuase they like it and becuase that is what is in their hearts. I think most do it so it can sell. Then, it is not art, but decoration. Who am I to say what is and what is not art? It is only my opinion afterall.
So, now I have a delemma: what do I charge for my work? Part of the procedes go to the YMCA and I want to be able to make a contribution. This place does a lot of good stuff for the non-rich people in this city. My son played lots of sports there and spent many summers there. They are good to the disabled people and the edlery as well, not just the youngsters. I tried to pay some mind to the other artists and their prices, but to be honest, most of the work was not so good. I have "professional training" as they say. I know about balance and flow and I know lots of the technical terms. My work has evolved over time to reflect this training. Any person who knows art in this manner will recognize it in my work. So what? Does that make me better? Yes and no. Becuase I have better technic, does that make me better? Oh yes, but in a way, no, too. My stuff is not "realistic"meaning it does not look like a photo of something. Why would I want to do that? That is what cammeras are for, right? With my work, I am trying to reproduce a feeling, an emotion. However, I admire those who are very skilled at this. Back before we had quality photos, art was the best way to go. In fact, one such person, Vargas, has been a big influence on me. (For those who do not know him, he did lots of "pin-up girls" back in the 30's and 40's and even into the 60's) Again, I am off the rail here. Anyway, some of the pricing was out of line. There was a photgrapher who had some wonderful photos, very moving and technically soild. Yet, his prices were very high, I thought so anyway. His work was matted, but un-framed. Trendy I suppose and of course the buyer can pick out their own frames. Okay, so in the past, I have just given most of my stuff away, free, here you go, you like this so much, it is yours. But then, I have a few peices I would never sell. Okay, so sell at what the market will bare I suppose. There are a couple of pieces that I would not mind keeping now that they have a nice frame, so, maybe a little higher on the price? I know if it is a decent price, it will sell. The people who are buying support the YMCA and who knows, maybe my art will end up in some closet somewhere (which is no different than what I do with it now). There is a lot of it that I wish was in someone else's storage unit or closet than mine though.
Anyway, this is my first solo exhibit. Some mistakes will be made, perhaps, many. Perhaps I will come home with all of my stuff wehn the month is over, but I do not think this to be so in my heart. If someone really loves a piece, but does not have the money, then of course, the price will go down for them. Will those people speak up though? I will speak to the person at the YMCA who handles these shows and see what she has to say about it. She is a very nice woman and I am sure she will have lots of opinions to offer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nine Lives said...

way to go, timmy!... i'm excited for you. : )

10:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home