"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Friday, December 31, 2004

And now... the rest of the story

My grandfather received a Purple Heart for his wound at Ohama Beach. Then, he went back to France for more war and was wounded again. He came back to Iowa and his family of 3 and his wife to drive a beer truck. One day he got sick. 2 days latter, he died. My father was 17 and a senior in high school. He had a scholarship to Iowa State University for wrestling. He was the Iowa state champ 2 years running, but had to quit wrestling to go to work to help support Grandma. There would be no college for him, although he did finish high school. About 4 years ago, someone in our family (a cousin or somebody) found some old 8mm film of my grandfather and grandmother. They had them transfered over to video. On there, I got to see him. They were dancing and drinking at a party in their tiny house. It was fun to see my grandmother (who crossed over 9 years ago) so young and pretty. They looked very happy, smiling and laughing and dancing and... Funny ( not haha but ironic) that he was wounded twice, survived D-Day and WWII, then died suddenly, quitely at home. My Grandmother remarried and I knew him as my Grandfather. He was a huge man, very quite and gentle and kind and a former baseball player for the Detroit Tigers. Many found memories of him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home