"One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers oneself is mighty." I care not to conquer others, but to simply understand, and help if I may do so. Conquering myself is another story, this story; one that is sometimes not simply for me to understand.

Friday, February 25, 2005


What I have in mind to do now, is show the blue woman/dragon piece as it is being made. (Please, see below for the explanation of the draws and the others) These are being done using watercolors, gouache (opaque watercolors), and chalk pastels. The watercolor is used as the main base, the gouache for the eyes, lips, and other fine details, with a light layer of pastels over the top. It all begins with the idea that is in my head. A few of them, I sketched out first, to get the lay-out organized and to plan the dragon. For this one, I did not because the image is already in my head the way I want it to be. Sometimes, the image is a clear detailed drawing. Sometimes, it is a vague shadow of an idea that needs to be developed physically on paper. Then, I transfer, either from my mind or the sketches, the outline on the paper. To not plan it first is taking a risk. The paper I use is expensive rag watercolor acid-free paper that is not forgiving to pencil marks being erased. It is NOT my recommendation for anyone to do as I do, but if you are confident in getting the sketch done with little to no erasing, then proceed. I use a number 6B drawing pencil that has very soft lead. It makes it much easier to erase. With watercolors, anything on the surface of the paper is very likely to show though the paint (especially blue), so I try to limit pencil marks. The paper is then taped down onto a drawing board. This limits the paper warping out of shape. The next step is to paint all of the negative space white. In art, negative space is defined as an area that is devoid of subject matter. This photo is at that step. Next entry will be of the next step, painting on the blue base of watercolor. Painting over the pencil marks means that it can not be easily erased. Rag paper does not have easily removable surfaces that a normal hard pencil easer will remove. It tends to "gum" up and look like heavy lent balls. Before I paint it, I will take a kneaded eraser and lightened the lines. For now, I left them darker for the photo.
 Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home